Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pesto Pasta



Let's talk about basil. With it's specifically strong, fresh smell and taste, I believe basil can literally define a meal. I'll be honest - basil had to grow on me. I wasn't too crazy about it when I was younger, but then again, I wasn't crazy about most herbs - I think it's just one of those things you start to appreciate as you get older and start to cook more. One thing about basil though, just like with most of the other herbs, if you need it finely chopped, you must use food processor or mortar and pestle. And when I moved out of home, I had neither. And I'm pretty sure majority of people don't. And another thing is, even if you are a proud owner of both, food processor takes ages to clean, and mortar and pestle takes ages to crush and grind, and what not. And come on, after long day at work, or on a lazy weekend afternoon, no one wants to do that to themselves! So what I use when I make pesto is minced basil in a tube! I use Gourmet Garden brand, which can be found in any supermarket in Australia, next to fresh herbs. And let me tell you - it's delish! And makes this pesto pasta a breeze.


What you'll need:


  • cooktop (gas or electric)
  • large saucepan
  • pasta drainer (if you don't have it, don't worry - just drain it with the lid on, moved slightly for water to come out, but not pasta as well)
  • small mixing bowl or dish


Ingredients:



  • 150g spaghetti
  • 5 tbs minced basil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped (if you're using minced garlic out of the jar, you'll need 1/4 tsp)
  • 5 tbs olive oil
  • 50g parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 tsp pine nuts or walnuts, chopped (optional, especially with all the nut allergies out there)

Fill the saucepan with water and bring it to boil on medium-high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions - usually around 7 minutes.


In the meantime, mix basil, garlic, oil, parmesan cheese and nuts in a bowl, and mix well. This won't look like it's much, but trust me, it'll cover pasta nicely.


When pasta's cooked (and the best way to check is just to try one string - just don't burn yourself!), drain it well. Add pesto and mix well with a fork, scrapping down sides of the pan.


Serves: 2

No comments: